CONGRATULATIONS ON ENROLLING In access all areas
Thank you for committing to technique-driven training and for bringing your energy and enthusiasm to The Studio. Below you will find important information that will help you prepare for and make the most of the class, so please read everything carefully
COURSE DATES AND CLASS TIMES
There are two Access All Areas classes for 2017. The dates and times for each class are as follows:
- February 18 and 19, 10:00am - 5:00pm
- April 22 and 23, 10:00am - 5:00pm
Please have a monologue memorised and prepared for use in class. It is also strongly recommend that participants read Howard Fine's book, 'Fine on Acting: A Vision of the Craft'.
On the first day of class we recommend bringing the following with you:
- A notepad, highlighter and pen, etc.
- A voice-recorder or phone with room to record notes (optional)
- Water, a snack/lunch (a fridge and kitchen facilities will be available to you)
STUDIO INFORMATION PACK
There are various procedures and guidelines in place here at The Studio in relation to the space and how to utilize it so everyone can enjoy a clean and safe working environment. Please read The Studio Information Pack, which includes information on kitchen use, rehearsal space hire, parking and public transport, etc. You can access it by clicking here. Please take the time to read this carefully, as it will hopefully answer a lot of your questions prior to beginning the course.
STAGE MANAGERS AND PARTICIPANT EXPECTATIONS
Here at The Studio, we rely on the help of everyone involved in class to help keep classes running smoothly and efficiently. To streamline this process, a student from the class will be performing the role of Stage Manager. The Stage Manager is your main point of contact throughout the course for logistical matters. Some things that the Stage Manager will do include:
- Forwarding messages from the tutor to all participants.
- Requesting floor plans and furniture requirements for your scenes in order to create a class running order.
- Over-seeing the changeover of scenes in each class.
- Making sure The Studio is neat and tidy at all times.
As a participant in class, we will often request your help with certain things in order to assist the Stage Manager. Below we have outlined the expectations of everyone taking part in classes at The Studio. These expectations are put in place for everyone’s benefit and it is therefore greatly appreciated that you adhere to the following:
- Be on time for every class. If, for some reason, you are running late for class, please inform the Stage Manager and, when applicable, your scene partner as well.
- Be prompt in responding to the Stage Manager’s requests, both during and outside of class.
- Be prompt in sending your floor plans and furniture requirements for a scene or Hagen exercise to the Stage Manager. This is what helps decide the running order for each class and aids in efficiency.
- Bring your own copy of your floor plan to give to the Stage Manager at the start of class.
- Assist with set changes between scenes. This is expected of everyone at every scene change.
- Help the Stage Manager at all times when in The Studio. This will often include helping to tidy up the space at the end of each class, putting furniture away, making sure the kitchen area is clean, arranging the chairs neatly in the space, and any other cleaning and tidying that may need to be done. With everyone’s help, this can take a minimal amount of time and goes a long way to helping both the Stage Manager and The Studio.
- Finally, if you are uncertain of anything related to class, contact the Stage Manager first.
OTHER THINGS THAT MAY TAKE YOUR INTEREST
Also, get to know Howard Fine, the Artistic Director of The Studio, a little more. Watch his FilmNut interview with Jeff Schubert and their discussion on technique, the relationship between homework and rehearsal and some of the coaching work Howard has done.
Finally, if you have any further questions about the course or The Studio in general, please do not hesitate to get in touch. We look forward to welcoming you to The Studio in soon!